|Tel.||057 450 455|
Bayernwald, located at 40 m above sea level, was of high military-strategic value. Having a good view over the front line was an important asset. That way, it was easier to point the cannons accurately and to defend one's positions. This explains why French and Bavarian soldiers were engaged in a fierce battle for possession of this site. The Germans won, and since, the place has been called Bayernwald. From 1914 until the summer of 1917, they made their "Bayernwald" into a fortress, impossible to capture. What can be seen today constitutes but 10 % of what it was in 1917.
Free entrance Bayernwald 2013
On these dates the Bayernwald trenches can be free visited from 10:00 untill 18:00. There is also a guide available who can give you some more information:
- Sunday 21st of April 2013
- Sunday 9th of June 2013
- Sunday 28th of July 2013
- Thursday 15th of August 2013
- Sunday 8th of September 2013
- Monday 11th of November 2013
Hunting Calendar Bayernwald 2013 - Bayernwald closed
On hunting days, Bayernwald is closed. The hunting days for 2013 are:
- Saturday 31th of August 2013
- Saturday 7th of September 2013
- Sunday 15th of September 2013
- Saturday 28th of September 2013
- Saturday 9th of November 2013
- Saturday16th of November 2013
- Saturday 30th of November 2013
- Saturday 14th of December 2013
- Friday 27th of December 2013
Open from 9 - 18 o'clock
Please buy your tickets on beforehand at the Tourist Office, Sint Laurentiusplein 1, 8950 Heuvelland (Kemmel). You can find the tourist office here. The parking spots for coaches and the bus stop is also marked on this map.
€ 4 per person - € 2.50 per person for groups of at least 20 persons - € 1 per person for people younger than 26 years.